Sunday, September 5, 2010

Prayer


Eat Pray Love: {crying} "Hello, God. How are you? I'm Liz. It's nice to meet you. I've always been a fan of your work... I'm sorry to bother you so late at night. But I'm in serious trouble. And I'm sorry I haven't ever spoken directly to you before, but I do hope I have always expressed ample gratitude for all the blessings that you've given me in my life. {sobbing} I am not an expert at praying, as you know. But can you please help me? I am in desperate need of help. I don't know what to do. I need an answer. Please tell me what to do... Please tell me what to do... Please tell me what to do..." {begging & crying.... and than, quite abruptly, it stops. All misery is gone. All alone but not really alone.} {Hearing one's own voice.. Go back to bed Liz}

This excerpt from "Eat Pray Love" really hit home to me. There were countless numbers of times this past year I found myself doing the same thing: crying ... SOBBING ... begging ... PLEADING ... and than the feeling of PEACE. It is one of those things that can not be explained. There is no evidence to why it works or proof that it does. I have always been a spiritual person, still striving to to learn more and gain a better testimony. But there is one thing I can say and that is the POWER of PRAYER is REAL and so AMAZING.

I call Him God. But He also goes by Allah, Shiva, Brahma, Vishnu or Zeus. To be honest, I am sure there are endless names for Him. But to me, he is God, my Heavenly Father. And without Him, I would lost. He works in mysterious ways. But with FAITH and LOVE, I know in my heart and soul that He is listening to my prayers. And with time, they will answered.

Eat Pray Love: "God might want me to be facing that particular challenge for a reason. I feel more comfortable praying for courage to face whatever occurs in my life with equanimity, no matter how things turn out."

STRENGTH and COURAGE... that is what I begged and pleaded for. I know God has the power to change everything. But how we would grow & learn & become better people if we didn't go through trials? So, through it all, I just asked for strength and courage. THIS is why I got through the hardships and trials... THIS is how I survived.

Here is an experience that happened just the other day... just another confirmation that PRAYER is AMAZING:

I graduated last spring but have been unable to find a job with my degree. I am so blessed to have the job I do have, working at Riverside Country Club but I just can't be a food service worker for the rest of my life. I want to use my degree so I can teach people how to live a healthy and happy life. My job hunt has been very very unsuccessful. I have applied for more than fifteen jobs within the last couple of months. Some of these jobs I feel over qualified for, yet I have heard nothing. So, the feelings of frustrations got to me. Not only is this difficult because I know how qualified I am but I also have a daughter who I need to provide for. It is not just a job. This is a roof over my daughter's head and food on the table. This is being able have health insurance so my daughter can have health care. This is me being able to provide the basic necessitates to her. So, the other day, while I was at work, I felt compelled to say a prayer.

My Dear Kind and Gracious Heavenly Father,
As you know, I have been looking for a job for months now and I haven't had any luck. I am getting frustrated and scared and I need you. Please bless me with patience. Please guide me in my daily search and help me to be making the right decisions in my life so I can have a clear mind. Please bless me with strength and courage and help me to be the best mom I can be. I am grateful for all the many blessings in my life and I say these things, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

About fifteen minutes later, the Vice President of my work walked in and asked me if I was going to be around next year. I was honest and I told him, "I hope not... I really want to use my degree and am hoping to find something in the health field." He replies, "Well, I wanted to talk to you about the Fitness Director position..."

Thank you, God.

xoxo, Alex

2 comments:

  1. Alex that's awesome! What a story! I look forward to hearing about this new RCC position.
    Is it new?

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful, and prayer doubled with faith can take down a mountain...i am so proud of you love.

    ReplyDelete