Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor of Love


Every Labor Day I am taken back to a day I will never forget. Two years ago, on Labor Day, I found out my life was going to change in the biggest way possible.... I was pregnant.


A week prior, I had picked up a prescription with a label on the side reading, "Do not take if pregnant or suspect of being pregnant. Will cause severe birth defects." Something inside me told me to take a pregnancy test so I kept putting off taking the medication. I woke up Labor Day morning, bright and early, to get ready for work. I had to be there by 8:00am for the big Labor Day BBQ celebration. My inner voice just kept saying, "take a pregnancy test..." So, I grabbed my car keys, went to the store, bought a pregnancy test and rushed home. I really thought it was going to say 'not pregnant' so to my surprise, when the test said 'pregnant,' I was a little shocked. At this point of my life, I was with a man I loved. We had talked about marriage and a family so along with being a little scared for the unknown, I was also excited. I tried to call him but he was playing basketball and did not answer my call. I needed to tell someone so I called the person I tell everything to, my sister. I called and told her the news and she told me to stop by before work. I hurried to get ready and with the test in hand, drove straight to her house. This little 'blessing in disguise' was not planned so the initial reaction was fear. I think it was fear of the unknown. What would he think? What would my family think? Was I ready? What did the future hold? My sister reassured me everything was fine and I went to work.


Two years later and my life just couldn't be better. I feel that my daughter was sent to me at a time I needed her most. I sometimes feel that she does more for me than I do for her. She has given me so much strength and courage and has helped me to be the best person I can be. My life just seemed to improve in all aspects when I found out she was coming. Things weren't planned the way they turned out but they turned out better than I could have ever planned!!

xoxo, Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment