Saturday, September 4, 2010

One book ends...


...so another can begin. It is bitter sweet to say this but the first 25 years are said and done, so let the rest of my life begin. The first 25 were amazing and I am so blessed. The memories I will always hold dear to my heart. But I am ready to end that book and begin the next 25, head on. I think I ended the first 25 with a bang, if I say so myself. The last year was, by far, the hardest year of my life. Yet, I grew more during it than any other year. Let me sum it up:

Shortly after I turned 24, I found out I was pregnant. This was also my junior year in college and I was not married. Three years prior, I had fallen in love with a man I thought I would be with forever. But during the pregnancy and the first year of having our little girl, things just didn't work out. So, one year after I had found out I was pregnant, I was 25, a senior in college, a mother of the most beautiful 3 month old and had just lost the man I thought I was going to be with forever. I was a single mom. I was scared, lonely and completely lost. I had to prioritize and I knew that getting through school was the most important thing, for both my daughter and I. So I moved back in with my parents; sharing a small bedroom with my baby girl. I had no idea what the future held. All I knew was I had to graduate! So, I fought through that year. I spent hours in the library, with my daughter by my side. There were many sleepless nights and breakdowns but I did it! April 28, 2010, I graduated from Utah Valley University with a Bachelors of Science in Community Health Education!!! I beat the impossible. Four months later, I moved into a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom condo...a home...our first home. The first book of my life has ended and the second book has just begun.

Life is good...amazing. I have found myself and I am ready, hand in hand with my daughter for our future. Together, we will get through it all.

May this journal be of some inspiration to those who come across it. In life, we stumble upon paths and we won't know why. But with each path, may we all learn and grow and make this world a better place.

xoxo, Alex

4 comments:

  1. Alex! That was such a good post, made me cry! You are so amazing and ALL I have to say is, "YOU GO GIRL!!!" I am so glad you have a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and by the way, your little girl is one of the cutest, most beautiful babies ever. Are you keeping your other blog or no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am inspired. I think it is awesome what you have accomplished and know you will accomplish much more in the years to come. Live for your daughter and you will be so fulfilled and blessings will come to your own life because of it. I am acquainted with a single mother who is living just for herself and my heart has been aching for the child she is not giving proper time, attention and love to. So your words and attitude fill me with joy and happiness and respect, I know it isn't easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an amazing writer. I am proud that you are my cousin. Wow. I hope the next 25 years is as amazing as you deserve. Your daughter is lucky to have such a wondeful mom.

    ReplyDelete