Friday, January 14, 2011

Prayer


{ Prayer } As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God (namely, God is our Father , and we are his children), than at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part. Many of the so-called difficulties about prayer arise from forgetting this relationship. Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them. Blessings require some work or effort on our part before we can obtain them. Prayer is a form of work, and is the highest of all blessings. -Bible Dictionary Prayer (pg 752-753)

I love this. I have come to realize that I can't do anything without God. Through times of good and times of bad, I am either asking Him for help or thanking Him for all that I have. I am still trying to figure out who I am spiritually but the relationship I have with God is one that I can't live without. Growing up, you learn the motions of prayer. From my experience, I don't think I actually grasped the idea of it till I was an adult; till I was at my worst times; till I was completely lost. And at those times, I turned to prayer. My faith grew immediately when the smallest of blessings would start to surround me. When all of a sudden I could go from feeling anxious and scared to calm and comforted. I knew God was listening and was willing to grant me those blessings... it was like He was just waiting for me to ask.

There have been multiple times where I have prayed and asked for something that didn't come. Now, I look back and realize that God sees the bigger picture. He was always there for me, guiding me through the tough times. Some of those unanswered prayers I can now see have been answered. I just needed time and clarity to see them.

Thank you God.

xoxo, Alex


No comments:

Post a Comment