Monday, January 24, 2011

Forgiveness


So today I witnessed something that I NEVER want to see in my future...

I was at the police station for work and a young mom and her 3 year old daughter were there waiting on an officer to fill out custody papers. Apparently, the mom and the dad meet at the city center to swap their little girl. If one doesn't show up, the other can go get a police report filled out so they have proof when fighting for custody. So, as they were waiting the little girl kept asking, "Mom, can we go?" The mom replied, "No, we are waiting for the officer." The little girl was confused, "No, we are waiting for my Daddy." The mom, who was obviously bitter, did not even try to hide the negativity and said, "No, your dad didn't show up again. he never does." The little girl is only 3 years old but even I could sense the disappointed in her eyes. I was sad for her.

Watching this happen made me think of my situation. I sometimes worry that Addi will already have issues since her mom and dad aren't married. There is not a chance that I will EVER let her hear me talk negatively about her dad. Honestly, there has been times where I was hurt or frustrated but for Addi, especially since we aren't together as a family, I need her to only feel love from both sides. Just like any other mom, I will do my best to protect her from ANY kind of harm or sadness. I hope those battles will be aimed towards a few broken hearts from boys or silly fights with her friends.... not from me or her dad.

This little girl touched my heart today. I saw a glimpse of what Addi's future could be if I don't learn to forgive. I have been through a lot and at times, my heart still feels heavy. But for Addi, i will continue to work on forgiveness. Nothing in this world would break my heart more if I saw Addi's breaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment